If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best candle for relaxation is, then we recommend Reflection + Clarity by Chesapeake Bay as the best one.
Candles can be used for many purposes ranging from adding fragrance to a home to promoting a certain feeling. One of the feelings that can be promoted through candles is relaxation.
Lighting a candle is a great way to turn your home into a relaxing atmosphere. Choosing the right candle for your relaxation is very important, though. You want to make sure your candle will really make you feel more relaxed.
In this article, we’re going to review the following candles:
- Stress Relief Eucalyptus + Spearmint by Bath & Body Works
- Reflection + Clarity by Chesapeake Bay
- Chamomile Lavender by LAFCO New York
- French Cade Lavender by Voluspa
- Peace + Tranquility by Chesapeake Bay
Why Should You Use Candles to Relax?
It’s a well known fact that candles promote a calming atmosphere. Between the light given off from the fire on the wick to the fragrances they hold, candles can bring a sense of comfort and relaxation when you light them. Mixing fragrance and ambiance together creates a great way to really allow yourself to relax.
It’s been scientifically proven that the flame of a candle can be one of the factors that leads to relaxation. When you see the flame, the information your eyes provide gets sent to the brain. Your brain makes you remember your associations with candlelight and you start to feel emotionally and physically relaxed.
Adding fragrance into a candle can add more affect to the relaxation that stems from a candle. A candle, scented or not, offers a sense of calm but it’s enhanced when you add a fragrance to it. Everyone has a particular fragrance that they associate with calm so finding a candle with that fragrance in it can help relax your mind and body.
You can use candles in a wide variety of situations to promote calm and relaxation. The ambiance and fragrance can be relaxing while you’re taking a bath, winding down with a book before bed, or just in need of a time to just sit and chill out. Candles can also create relaxation during meditation and yoga.
Fragrances that Lead to Relaxation
When you think of using candles for relaxation, there may be several fragrances that come to mind. Different fragrances are used to help you relax during a variety of situations. Whether you’re stressed, wanting to sleep, have anxiety, or want to just relax in general, there’s a fragrance that can help you achieve this goal.
Sometimes it’s difficult to wind down and sleep. For people that need time too cool down enough to sleep, lighting a candle that has a relaxing fragrance can help you wind down quicker than you normally would. The fragrance of lavender is proven to give off a soothing scent that has sedative effects. Burning a lavender candle can not only help you wind down enough to sleep, but it can also help you have a better night’s rest.
Anxiety is a very prevalent problem that affects an innumerable amount of people. Luckily, you can use a candle to help calm your anxiety. While it’s not a perfect fix, it can definitely be a way for you to calm it down a little. The fragrance that helps with anxiety is called bergamot, which is a citrusy fragrance and comes from the peel of an orange.
If you’re stressed, there are two well known fragrances that will help relieve your stress, no matter what’s causing it. A popular fragrance that is used is eucalyptus. This cool minty fragrance has been proven to reduce stress and is widely used in candles. Another fragrance is geranium. Geranium has a rosy fragrance for someone that prefers floral scents and has been known to relieve stress symptoms.
For the times you just want to relax without having to pinpoint a reason for your relaxation, chamomile a great fragrance to help achieve this. This scent is used in many different products because the scent of it is known to have relaxing and calming qualities in it.
Fragrance Oils vs. Essential Oils for Relaxation
Candles are generally fragranced using two different products: essential oils and fragrance oils. Fragrance oils are synthetic and are a less expensive, more potent oil that can mimic the scents that are found in nature. These fragrances can help you feel relaxed but don’t have the same medicinal, actual relaxing qualities that essential oils do.
Fragrance oils are very commonly found in candles, especially in candles manufactured by big name companies. Big name companies may also sell candles that have a blend of fragrance oils and essential oils too. Generally, though, because they’re less expensive and give off a strong scent, the candles you find in big stores will be made with fragrance oils.
Essential oils are natural oils that are derived from the aromatic parts of plants. These oils have actual medicinal benefits including relaxation benefits in some oils. These oils are generally more expensive so you’ll find candles fragranced with these from more luxury brand candles. Candles fragranced with essential oils are great to use during an aromatherapy session, which is what you can do to help with relaxation.
If you’re looking for a more natural fragrance with medicinal effects, you’ll definitely want to find a candle that is created with essential oils. If you want a strong, vivid fragrance to help you wind down, then either fragrance oil or essential oil candles are a good fit for you.
5 Candles for Relaxation Reviewed
In this section, I’ll review five different candles that are ideal for relaxation. I’ll discuss the fragrances that are in them and how good they are at making a relaxing atmosphere. With so many different candles out there, this will help make your search easier. This will also give you the opportunity to really see if these candles fit your relaxation needs before purchasing them.
This candle is a great pick for when you’re feeling stressed. The warmth from the spearmint mixed with the calming and cool fragrance of the eucalyptus makes the perfect combination to really calm your mind and body. This is part of Bath & Body Works’ aromatherapy line which is directly geared to achieve a certain goal. The goal of this candle is stress relief and you will be pleased with the calming effect you’ll get.
Bath & Body Works normally fragrances their candles with fragrance oils but has recently begun using essential oils to help fragrance their products too. Because they’ve started using essential oils in their candles, their stress relief candle will have a stronger relaxing quality to it.
This candle is created with a blend of vegetable waxes with soy being the dominant wax and a wick that’s completely made of cotton. The soy wax will give you a clean, even burn and will help your candle last longer. The soy wax has air purifying qualities which can also help enhance your relaxation as the air is being cleansed.
You can expect this candle to give you between 25 and 45 hours of burn time. The three wicks will create an even burn pool which gives you a strong fragrance throw. You can expect fragrance throughout the whole burn life, too.
- This fragrance is authentic and doesn’t smell artificial.
- You won’t feel drowsy from this fragrance.
- When burning this candle, you’ll begin to feel refreshed and sharp.
- This fragrance fills a large space easily.
- This candle fits in perfectly for a spa day.
- If you’re looking for a strong candle, this is perfect for you.
- The three wicks helps the scent throw easily.
- The eucalyptus leaves a pleasant fragrance after you extinguish it.
- You can expect a clean burn from this candle.
- When burning this candle, you can expect to be soothed almost immediately.
- This candle lasts a very long time.
- You can expect this candle to eliminate any unwanted odors.
- This candle is better for large spaces as it can be overpowering in small rooms.
- The fragrance can sometimes come off as medicinal.
- It’s possible to receive a candle with a wick buried.
- The fragrance may be too strong for some people.
This candle is perfect for you to burn during a spa day. After a long week at work, there’s nothing better than to wind down with a bubble bath, some soft instrumental music, and this candle creating a soothing atmosphere through its fragrance and ambiance. Lighting this candle will release a fragrance that will almost immediately bring your body into a calm and relaxed state.
Not only does this candle have a soothing fragrance, but the fragrances are created through the use of essential oils. Chesapeake Bay uses the essential oils of orange, chamomile, lavender, laurel, patchouli, and tea. As I previously discussed, chamomile and lavender are essential oils that are commonly used for relaxation. Because of this, the Reflection + Clarity promotes overall relaxation as well as better sleep.
This candle has different notes of fragrances. The top note is comprised of eucalyptus, lavender, and sea salt, making this candle great for stress relief and sleep. The middle note is made up of chamomile, cyclamen, and sage, making this candle great for overall relaxation. The base note of this candle rounds out the relaxing fragrance with rosemary, thyme, and cedarwood.
No matter what kind of relaxation you need, this candle has you covered. If you’re stressed, the eucalyptus will help you wind down. If you’re looking for a better night’s sleep, the lavender used in this candle will help prepare you for sleep and help you achieve a better night’s rest. And if you’re looking to just relax in general, this candle is perfect because it also holds chamomile.
- You’ll receive a high quality candle at a very affordable price.
- The fragrance from the essential oils is mild and pleasant.
- Though mild, the fragrance fills a large room.
- This candle doesn’t have an overpowering fragrance.
- The fragrance lasts as long as the wax does.
- The base of the candle’s jar has a slight gumminess which helps prevent spills.
- This candle has a fragrance incredibly similar to more expensive brands.
- This fragrance is unisex.
- The packaging of this candle is simplistic and fits in with any decorations.
- This fragrance can be difficult to notice for some people.
- If you don’t like cologne type fragrances, this fragrance might not be best for you.
- The different layers of fragrances can blend together which may seem unpleasant.
- It’s possible to get a product where the lid doesn’t fit, which shortens the fragrance lifespan.
This candle brings together the fragrances of lavender and chamomile to create the perfect relaxation candle. The simple, yet elegant, candle is a great addition to any bedroom or bathroom. Whether you’re looking for a candle to help you sleep or one that will promote relaxation during a spa day, this candle will definitely help you achieve these goals.
Not only does this candle have the relaxing fragrances of chamomile and lavender, but it also brings in other fragrances to promote relaxation. This is a floral candle, which also helps bring out the relaxing qualities that it holds. Lighting this candle will bring you into a calmed state with even the first burn.
The first impression this candle will give you the fragrances of bergamot and chamomile, which brings you general relaxation. The next impression you’ll get is the heart of the fragrance. This impression is of lavender and eucalyptus. The eucalyptus promotes stress relief and the lavender helps promote better sleep. The final impression you’ll get is a calm floral mixture of rosemary, patchouli, and honey flower.
This candle holds a soft fragrance but the effects of it are powerful. You can definitely expect to be relaxed when you’re burning this candle. This candle is filled with essential oils held in soy wax so you know you’ll have the medicinal benefits of the essential oils in the clean burning soy wax. To enhance the fragrance throw, there’s a touch of paraffin wax, making sure you get a strong fragrance throw.
- This candle has a very good burn time.
- You’ll be given a strong ambiance from this large candle.
- For the luxurious price, you’re getting a high quality candle.
- This candle gives off a lovely cold scent throw.
- The fragrance is light and mildly sweet.
- The vessel the candle is poured into can be repurposed.
- This fragrance is calming and relaxing.
- If you enjoy mild fragrances, this is a great candle for you.
- This is a spa like candle that will make your room smell like it’s a high end resort or hotel.
- You’ll get an even melt pool when burning this candle.
- The vessel this candle is poured into is simple and fits well with any decorations.
- It’s possible to buy a candle that has the wicks buried in the wax.
- The fragrance may be too mild for some people.
- The burn time doesn’t always reach 90 hours.
- With some of the candles, you need to be close to the product to be able to smell it.
Voluspa provides you with high quality candles and this one isn’t an exception to that. With this candle, you can be sure that you’ll get a relaxing fragrance that will calm you enough to prepare you for a good night’s sleep. This candle is perfect for you to set out when you’re just trying to wind down for sleep or if you’re looking for a spa like night. Regardless of what you choose to use this candle for, you’ll definitely feel relaxed.
This candle holds the woody fragrance from French cade wood mixed with verbena and Bulgarian lavender. You’ll receive a high quality fragrance because high quality ingredients are used to create it. Not only will the fragrance bring you a relaxing feeling, but the tin will also make you feel relaxed too. The tin is decorated with cool, calming colors to help promote a calming environment.
This candle come with three wicks which gives this candle a strong scent throw and a long lasting burn. Voluspa creates their candles with coconut wax which, much like soy wax, has purifying qualities and gives off a clean burn. On top of this, they use wicks that are fully natural, which means that you don’t have to worry about any unwanted chemicals being released while you’re burning it.
- This candle will bring a sense of tranquility to your room.
- The fragrance is great and permeates a room.
- This candle is on par with candles of other luxury brands.
- The jar secures tightly which helps maintain the fragrance lifespan.
- You’ll be met with a soft, fresh, and clean fragrance when you burn this candle.
- The fragrance fills a room easily.
- While there’s a strong scent throw, you don’t have to worry about this candle being overpowering.
- This fragrance is unisex and has the perfect balance masculine and feminine fragrances.
- If you secure the jar lid all the way, it’s difficult to remove.
- If you don’t like fragrances that have a cologne like scent, this candle may not be the best choice for you.
- The fragrance may be too light for some people.
- Depending on the batch your candle is made in, the lavender fragrance may be faint.
If you’re looking for a spa day, this candle will make a great, relaxing addition to your day. This soft and peaceful candle smells great, especially when paired with a relaxing bubble bath and a face mask.
Tranquility will be brought into the room through the exotic note of jasmine, the delicacy provided by cashmere woods, white musk, and sandalwood. All of this blended together will give you the best escape through your spa day.
With this candle, you’ll be given several different impressions as it burns. The first impression this candle will give you is through the sweetness from aldehydes, the floral fragrance of lilies, and the citrus from bergamot.
The next impression you’ll get is floral from jasmine and rose mixed with cotton blossoms and ylang ylang. The final impression you’ll get is a woody fragrance from cashmere wood, musk, and sandalwood.
Chesapeake Bay uses essential oils in their candles, which helps gives medicinal effects to your relaxation. The essential oils they use in this candle are ylang ylang, lemon, and cedarwood.
The mixture of these oils will enhance your peaceful spa day. This candle is also made from a soy wax blend, which ensures that you will get a clean burn that will purify the air as you burn it.
- This candle has a strong and pleasant scent throw.
- You will really feel calm and relaxed when burning this candle.
- The fragrance from this candle is clean and peaceful.
- When smelling this candle, you’ll feel refreshed.
- This fragrance isn’t strong enough to be irritating.
- The packaging is simple and soothing, complementing to the candle itself.
- The jasmine in this candle really comes through but isn’t overpowering.
- This fragrance may not be strong enough for some people.
- There may be some soot while this candle burns.
- This fragrance isn’t as universal as other fragrances and is more feminine.
So Which Candle is Worth Your Money?
While all of these candles are a great option for your spa day or the times you need to relax, there is a one candle that stands out from the rest. The Reflection + Clarity candle by Chesapeake Bay is the definite candle that you should choose if you’re looking to relax. Not only does this candle have essential oils in it, it also has quite a bit of different relaxing fragrances.
This candle packs a calming punch through eucalyptus for stress relief, lavender for better sleep, and chamomile for general relaxation. This candle promotes all kinds of relaxation and calming qualities that anyone can find peace and clarity to.
Any of these candles are going to be a great addition to your relaxation but the Chesapeake Bay Reflection + Clarity candle will without a doubt bring your relaxation to the next level. Your money will be put to good use with this long lasting, clean burning candle.