I’ve been hearing a lot about Wild Berry Incense, and that made me excited to learn more about the company and its products, so I thought I’d write up a review.
Wild Berry Incense has over 100 fragrances and is the leading hand dipped incense maker in the United States, though their scents can be smelled all over the world. Founded in Oxford, Ohio, the company has a local retail store and factory store but their product is sold in shops nationwide and beyond.
Continue to read this review in order to learn why Wild Berry is considered, “America’s Best Incense.”
All About Wild Berry Incense Company
Beginning in 1971 as a leather and gifts shop, incense was sold in the background as an add-on purchase. But founder Marc Biales explains that it soon became the heartbeat of the company once they realized that their product was a caliber above the rest and began juggling wholesale accounts by 1992.
By 1993, Wild Berry had been making its incense in the back of the shop but they’ve since grown to their current 40K square foot facility. They still manufacture incense by hand in Oxford, Ohio where their stores are also located. There’s a smaller flagship retail location, The Wild Berry Store, and then a much larger showroom, The Wild Berry Factory Store, which opened in 2019.
How does the company explain their claim to being the best incense company? They use:
- Expensive, high-quality fragrances
- More fragrance is added to each stick than other brands, and
- Their fragrance remains fresh on the stick for a longer period of time
Additionally, they invest in superior research, testing, and formulation, which has allowed them to grow a strong following, and even survive the pandemic. All of their team members support one another and are customer-centric, which goes a long way in creating a positive customer experience from beginning to end.
Their factory store is a multi-purpose space for wholesalers, the stock base of their online store, and a retail front for walk-in visitors. Upon entering, you might witness store clerks filling and shipping online orders using stock that is on the floor. Individuals interested in selling Wild Berry products in their own stores can come in to see how it is displayed and smell the goods in person.
It’s also a place where casual customers can learn about the history of the company. One fun fact is that Biales chose the name of the shop while walking over wild berries during a hike through an Ohio state park. Also, a fellow crafter taught him how to make incense back in the seventies. With additional research and changes in their formula, Wild Berry developed the incense that we enjoy today.
In addition to Wild Berry products, both store locations continue to sell gift items, like, gemstones, apparel, and jewelry, as well as other “wacky things” you’d expect from The Wild Berry.
Wild Berry Product Line
Part of the Wild Berry scent formula is an ingredient that causes the scent you smell on the stick to remain consistent as it burns. It is this secret ingredient that is credited with being one of the primary factors that has helped sustain the company all these years.
The WIld Berry product line is divided into seven general categories:
- Traditional incense sticks (11 inches)
- Shorties (4 inches)
- Biggies (19 inches)
- Incense Powder
- Incense Cones (regular and backflow)
- Fragrance Oils
- Wax Melts
Not every scent is available in every size or product format. Currently there are over 100 fragrances offered for the traditional incense sticks and burn time is approximately one hour. Biggies (which are trademarked) burn for about three hours while cones and shorties burn for approximately thirty minutes.
A unique feature with regards to incense sticks is that there is a stick color that corresponds with each fragrance. For instance, shorties that are painted black with glitter smell like chai tea. A tan and white traditional stick has the aroma of brown sugar oatmeal.
They recently acquired a company that makes incense powder, and then made improvements to their formulation, primarily making the fragrance more intense. It’s release was delayed due to the pandemic, but as of 2021, the powder and their unique burners are available to the public.
Wild Berry also sells incense burners, oil warmers, wax melt warmers, and fragrance samplers for the home.
Similar to perfumeries and high end candle companies, Wild Berry categorizes their incense aromas by fragrance families:
- Earthy (e.g., Musk, Dragon’s Blood, Zen…)
- Florals and Greens (e.g., Forest Dew, Mountain Heather, Summer Day…)
- Foodlike (e.g., King Cake, Apple Crisp, Pear Vanilla…)
- Fresh and Clean (e.g., Egyptian Cotton, Evergreen, Tranquility…)
- Fruits (e.g., Blueberry Blast, Fiesta Lime, Sunshine…)
- Holiday (e.g., Gingerbread, Pumpkin Spice, Rum Raisin…)
- Spicy (e.g., Christmas Kiss, Fantasia, Isis…)
- Woods (e.g., Evergreen, India Moon, Shooting Star…)
But unlike candle companies, there does appear to be some overlap among the fragrances assigned to each of the categories. For instance, Mountain Heather is listed under “florals and greens” as well as “spicy” categories.
This scent is a combination of greenery and balsamic spices with notes of jasmine, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, and caramelized sugar. Since the greens, jasmine, and spices are most dominant, that’s what it’s categorized under. You won’t find it also listed under “foodlike” although there are spices and orange peel. Nor did I find it under, “fruits.”
So my guess is that the fragrance families are a loose guide to give you some general information about what you can expect from each aroma.
My Top 7 Wild Berry Incense Products Reviewed
Now let’s get to the fun stuff. Below are the top Wild Berry products I’m into right now. If you see a jar pictured with any of the products, know that it is sold separately because all of their incense is shipped in bags. For the contents of each bag:
- Quantity: 100 sticks
- Length: traditional 11-inch sticks
- Burn Time: 1 hour each
1. Dragon’s Blood Wild Berry Incense Sticks
Founder, Marc Biales, stated that Dragon’s Blood has always been their top seller, and it still is to this day.
Named for the red sap that oozes out of the dracaena draco tree, this grounding fragrance is a blend of arabian sandalwood, musk, amber, and pine needle.
Dragon’s Blood is available in Wild Berry’s full product range as four-inch Shorties, incense powder, fragrance oil, regular incense cones, Biggies, wax melts, and backflow incense cones.
- Great value for the cost
- Intense, but not overwhelming, fragrance
- Unisex fragrance
- Steady slow burn
- You won’t get enough
2. Wild Berry’s Blueberry Blast Incense Sticks
This is a popular new intense, fruit fragrance of wild blueberries, blended with sugar cane, vanilla bean, and fresh greens. So imagine walking through a field of blueberry plants or more accurately, smelling a freshly baked blueberry pie, and that’ll give you an idea of how this incense smells.
- Strong scent
- Smells just like blueberries
- Slow burn
- Fruity, sweet, and earthy
- Not everyone likes fruity scents, and it’s most dominant here
3. Fizzy Pop Wild Berry Incense Sticks
Another fruity aroma but this time it’s with citrus notes. Imagine a carbonated beverage on a hot summer’s day that tastes like your favorite citrus fruit plus freshly cut lemon and lime, with the smell of orange blossoms and citronella in the background – that’s Fizzy Pop!
Also available as backflow incense cones.
- Fresh, fruity smell
- Long, clean burn
- Slightly floral scent
- Light, airy fragrance can also lift your mood
- Might be too light a fragrance for some
4. Wild Berry’s Sage & Santo Incense Sticks
This fragrance is less than a year old, but it’s been consistently popular for Wild Berry. In addition to sage and palo santo wood, you will smell layers of pine needle, frankincense, rosemary, and cedarwood. So this is a more complex take on the popular herb and wood used for spiritual cleansing.
- An earthy, calming scent
- The pine notes really show through
- Value for the price
- Not for those who dislike green, earthy, or woody scents
5. Wild Berry India Moon Incense Sticks
Available as traditional sticks, shorties, fragrance oil, and traditional cones, India Moon fits in the woody category of scents.
It’s an exotic blend of vetiver, spicy cedar, vanilla, soft clove, with just a hint of patchouli. Although it’s woodsy, there’s a touch of sweetness and spiced powdery musk.
- Truly excellent combination of scents
- Delightful while burning
- Lots of value for the price
- Hard to find a similar scent through other brands
- Not for those who dislike sweet woodsy scents
6. Wild Berry Zen Incense Sticks
Zen has a dense, earthy aroma due to a combination of moss, soft suede, wood scents, and sensual musk. While it is a full-bodied fragrance, it isn’t overwhelming while burning. It can help pull you into a deep meditative state.
Also available as shorties.
- Truly pleasurable fragrance notes
- Pulls you into the present
- Great value
- You may completely love it or strongly dislike it
7. Wild Berry Incense Sticks Best Seller Sample Set #2
Still a pack of 100 sticks, this set includes twenty each of these five fragrances:
- Dragon’s Blood
- Egyptian Cotton
- Fairy Dust
I described Dragon’s Blood earlier. Egyptian Cotton, which is also available as Biggies, is a refreshing scent that smells like fresh linen on a clothesline.
Fairy Dust is another popular scent that’s available in Biggies, Shorties, wax melts, cones, and backflow cones. Specifically formulated to mask smoke odor, you’ll instead smell lavender, musk, bergamot, patchouli, with the overall scent notes of citrus.
Patchouli is, well, patchouli. There’s not much else to say except that it’s one of the few fragrances available across all product lines and is incorporated into over a dozen other Wild Berry scent options.
Lastly, Tranquility which is also available in Biggies, Shorties, and traditional incense cones, falls into the fruity category. On the citrus side, it’s a combination of lemon, lime, amber, and sandalwood.
- Try multiple fragrances at once
- Rest knowing that these are the best sellers, so you might like them all
- Exceptional value for the price
- Slow, clean burn
- Nice sample from different fragrance categories
- You may not like them all
Customer Opinions About Wild Berry
Wild Berry has an overwhelmingly high number of satisfied customers. This incense seems to bring a lot of joy and happiness into peoples’ lives, not to mention heartfelt memories. Below are some of the things customers have had to say.
Wild Berry Raves
- Customers are over the moon about the aroma of Dragon’s Blood. Many of them feel that Wild Berry’s version of the fragrance is the most enjoyable.
- Wild Berry incense generates low smoke content. You smell more fragrance than smoke.
- Many customers express that they love that Wild Berry fragrances are strong without any hint of a chemical smell to them. Each fragrance smells authentic, just as described, which makes the company even seem more dependable.
It may sound contradictory for scents to be strong and light at the same time but with Wild Berry fragrances, I think customers try to communicate that it’s a clean fragrance.
Wild Berry Boos
- Some customers have experienced trouble burning the incense – stating that the stick stops burning as time goes on. I’m not sure if this is a product problem or not, though, because if an incense stick isn’t lit properly in the beginning, it will definitely fade out.
- Many customers dislike that the product is often advertised with the jar holding all of the sticks but the jar is not included in the purchase.
If you prefer natural incense, then this is not the brand for you. Natural scents are known to be inconsistent because there are so many different factors involved in their growth and extraction, so each batch can smell slightly different.
The punchiness that Wild Berry incense produces does come from high quality fragrances but those fragrances are created in a lab with very precise formulation. There’s nothing wrong or unethical about it, but I thought it was important to point out because a lot of people asked this question.
Wild Berry incense is a good fit for people who enjoy consistently intense fragrances and unique scent combinations.
Final Thoughts About Wild Berry Incense
If you are new to the Wild Berry brand, I would suggest that you try one of their sampler packs first in order to get a feel for their scent variety and intensity levels. The one I mentioned, Sample Set #2, includes a range of fruity, woody, fresh, and spicy fragrances.
Another option would be to dive into Dragon’s Blood. Absolutely everyone loves this scent, and it’s been a customer favorite since the 1970’s, so that’s gotta tell you something.
Overall, Wild Berry seems to be a fun-loving company that really wants their customers to have an amazing experience using their products in day to day life. But as always, the choice is yours!