What I like about Glade PlugIns is that they keep consumer costs in mind. One way they do this is by making sure that any refill you purchase can fit into any oil warmer model they’ve ever created. They also continue to evolve their warmers to efficiently use electricity and help oils last longer.
Keep reading to learn why Glade PlugIns are a good option for those who want to keep costs minimal while enjoying a wide array of fragrance options for their home.
All About Glade’s Parent Company: SC Johnson Wax
SC Johnson is a household company name in America. Although the company has evolved over the years as reflected in slight changes to their name, they continue to make the products that have become so common and necessary in most households.
Named for its founder, Samuel Curtis Johnson, this company started in 1886. It’s one of the oldest family-run businesses that still exists in America. Initially called SC Johnson Wax, they started out making waxed products for floors, then furniture.
When Sam, a fourth-generation Johnson became head of the New Products Division, he presented his father with product ideas that had little to no wax in them. The first being the insecticide, Raid.
His innovative insight also led the company to release other novel products, like, OFF! insect repellent, Pledge furniture polish, and of course, Glade air freshener. All of these new products were released over the span of three years, from 1955 to 1958.
“Quite simply, you have to have new products – good products – or you die as a company.”Sam Johnson, SC Johnson Wax
The Glade product line has grown over time to include:
- Automatic spray air fresheners (timed fragrance release)
- Aerosol air fresheners
- Candles (single wick, 3-wick, and 2-in-1 fragrances)
- Wax melts (longer lasting, wickless wax fragrance)
- Solid air fresheners
- Carpet and room fresheners (eliminates odors from fibers; can also be used on upholstery and in car interiors)
Glade PlugIn Highlights
The first two Glade air fresheners scents from the mid-1950s were evergreen and blossom.
A lot of Glade’s earlier PlugIn releases in the early 2000s were geared towards teenage girls. Scents were fruity and flowery and created a personalized experience for them.
While some people refer to Glade products as toxic, the company indicates that their scented oils are made without:
- Nitro musk
Finding a PlugIns product timeline proved difficult, but at some point in the 2000s, Glade PlugIns became scented gels. It wasn’t until later that they evolved into the oils used today.
Now Glade produces fresh, woody, floral, and warm fragrances in signature and seasonal scents that pull customers in and help them make their space feel more like home. Scents now cater to all family members.
The company has aroma specialists who meticulously craft each fragrance combination in order to help you create a desired mood. There are also a lot of advancements being made with their oil warmers, as in the first product example I’ll cover.
Top 7 Glade PlugIn Products
As you’ll notice through the examples below, Glade’s product line is constantly evolving in order to meet customers’ needs and expectations. But they’re still innovators who present customers with mechanisms they didn’t really know they’d need.
1. Glade PlugIns Plus Starter Kit: Clean Linen
Glade’s PlugIn Plus warmer has a number of innovative features. Firstly, when you plug it in with scented oil inserted for the first time, it flashes twice to let you know it’s been activated. Its soft white light indicated that the warmer is dispersing fragrance into the air.
This starter kit includes:
- 1 warmer (with smart light technology)
- 3 refills (2.01 fl oz each)
If you want to adjust how much fragrance is released, simply turn the dial, and the light flashes when it’s been assigned a new intensity setting. What’s truly an energy and oil saver is the Plus warmer’s “Rest” mode. This cycle lasts for 8 hours after pushing the switch to activate. Whether you’re away from the house or prefer to smell less fragrance as you sleep, “Rest” mode makes this warmer an even more attractive purchase.
When your scented oil gets down to 30%, the indicator light switches from white to blue. This gives you enough time to order refills. If you already have refills, then consider the shift in color to be like a sticky note, reminding you to change the refill soon.
Each refill lasts up to 50 days, but if it just so happens that you completely run out of oil, the device shuts itself off. You don’t have to worry about it overheating once the oil container is empty.
Floral and fruity “Crisp Linen” is the fragrance that comes in this starter kit, but Glade PlugIns refills are universal. Any Glade scented oil refill that you have or will ever buy, will fit inside this warmer.
- Rest mode is energy and scent efficient
- Neutral botanical fragrance
- Auto shut-off is a great safety feature
- You may not want a lighted warmer
2. Glade PlugIns Scented Oil: Apple Cinnamon
Glade’s Apple Cinnamon is a yummy fragrance that smells just like freshly baked apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Scent combination: McIntosh apples, vanilla, and cinnamon spice. If you’ve ever tasted McIntosh apples, you know that they are more tart than sweet. You can actually smell that tarty sweetness in this scented oil.
This set comes with the ceramic warmer that I talked about in this post, and five scented oil refills. Depending on fragrance intensity, this one pack of refills can potentially last for close to eight months.
If you’re concerned about whether or not this warmer will work in your outlet, don’t be. Simply turn the plug to fit your outlet, making sure that the warmer and oil remains upright.
- Ceramic holder works with vertical or horizontal outlets
- Turn the dial 360 degrees to change scent intensity
- Customers LOVE this scent
- Not for those who dislike fruity spicy scents
3. Glade PlugIns Single Starter Kit: Hawaiian Breeze
This starter set includes one warmer and one refill. I included this listing for those of you who might still be skeptical about using Glade PlugIns. Consider this kit to be a low barrier to entry.
Hawaiian Breeze is another Glade favorite. It’s a combination of fresh pineapple and plumeria blooms – also called the frangipani flower.
Native to the Pacific islands, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America, frangipani is the flower you see on Hawaiian leis.
These flowers have a uniquely intense fragrance that’s a combination of floral and fruity scents. Combined with sweet mango, peach, and pineapple, with hints of hibiscus and berries, it’s an irresistible tropical fragrance.
If you fall in love with it, there are larger scented oil refill options.
- Hawaiian Breeze is definitely a customer favorite
- Small starter set to test out the product
- The most adjustment options for any fragrance warmer
- Smells like a tropical smoothie
- Attractive ceramic casing
- Not everyone likes fruity tropical floral scents
- If not set up properly, oil will leak
4. Glade PlugIns Limited Edition Starter Kit: Pumpkin Spice Things Up
For those who look forward to “Pumpkin season,” you should know that Glade has fragrance options for you as well..
The “Pumpkin Spice Things Up” fragrance is reminiscent of a pumpkin caramel frappuccino. It’s a blend of earthy heirloom pumpkin, sharp pumpkin pie spices, and sweet caramel.
Included in this set:
- 1 ceramic oil warmer
- 5 scented oil refills (0.67oz each)
As mentioned before, this ceramic holder is top notch, and you can dial up the fragrance intensity during the holiday season.
Smelling pumpkin spice, especially during the fall, causes us to connect to old memories and emotions. When we smell a scent, it immediately connects us to past experiences. If you have joyful memories related to this season and fragrance, then “Pumpkin Spice it Up” might be an uplifting fall fragrance for you.
- One of America’s favorite fall fragrances
- Balanced scent that’s not too sweet
- Many fragrance intensity options
- Oil warmer is modern and attractive
- Pumpkin spice isn’t for everyone
5. Glade PlugIns Seasonal Limited Edition Kit: Fall Night Long
A limited edition fragrance,this “Fall Night Long” set includes two oil warmers and six refill containers. The ceramic, 360 degree scent dial is the model that comes with this set.
It helps to have more than one warmer in larger rooms to help balance out fragrance release. But if you prefer, since the scent intensity can change so drastically, you can place one warmer in a large one, and the other one in a smaller room. Unlike larger candles, these oil warmers can be adapted to each room.
If you have not hopped on the pumpkin spice bandwagon and have been looking for a seasonal alternative, “Fall Night Long” might be it for you. Like freshly fallen leaves, this scent combination blends cinnamon with sage and thyme. The herbal ingredients make this a fresh, crisp scent option. Spiciness helps balance out the fresh scent notes. Overall this is a light and airy fall fragrance.
- One of Glade’s more sophisticated scents
- Ceramic holder with 360 degree dial
- Includes an abundance of refills
- Men might prefer this fragrance
- Not everyone will like this scent combination
- The scent isn’t always available for purchase
6. Glade PlugIns Scented Oil Refills: Sultry Amber Rhythm
Since you may already have a Glade PlugIn warmer, I thought I’d include some refill options that don’t come with warmers. Sultry Amber Rhythm is another limited edition fragrance, so if you think you’ll like it, be sure to order it as soon as you can.
Due to its color and fragrance, amber is associated with warmth. This is a heavier fragrance combination that also includes dark rum, black leather, and crisp mint scent notes. If ever a Glade fragrance could create ambiance, this one is definitely it.
Typically Glade PlugIn refills last up to 50 days each when used on the lowest setting. Each refill in this set will last you about a month.
I thought they might be smaller, but the total amount of oil is 3.35 fl oz, which equates to 0.67 fl oz per refill, which is typical for Glade refills. I’m not sure why it’s suggested that they’ll last 20 days less than all of the other ones. But this is a calm and inviting scent that both men and women tend to enjoy.
- Very delightful unisex fragrance
- Can be used in any Glade PlugIn warmer you already have
- About five months worth of fragrance
- Each refill might only last 30 days
- Limited edition isn’t always available for purchase
7. Glade PlugIns Frozen II Limited Edition Oil Refills: Deep Amber Hills
If you enjoyed the movie Frozen II, this is one way to bring the experience home with you. This set includes ten scented oil refills. Since this fragrance is also not available year-round, it’s probably best to buy as much as you can at once.
Deep Amber Hills is a fruity and earthy scent. You’ll experience notes of amber, clove, and black currant. More earthy notes from elemi oil, which smells like frankincense and myrrh, and lastly, there are floral honeysuckle fragrance notes. So in this one fragrance, you have fruity, spicy, earthy, and woody scents.
If you don’t already have warmers, this scent is also available as a starter kit.
- Interesting and complex fragrance
- Refills might last close to a year
- Relive a favorite movie while at home
- Seasonal scent that isn’t always available
Glade PlugIn Customer Opinions
Glade fragrances are a customer favorite largely due to their true to natural scents and the improvements made with their warmers. Here’s what customers have to say:
What Customers Enjoy about Glade PlugIns
- The newer ceramic warmer is more aesthetically pleasing than Glade’s older plastic casing. It’s less of an eye sore and makes a nice addition to home decor.
- Being able to change the fragrance intensity using a 360 degree dial not only alters scent intensity, but it can help prolong the use of each refill.
- Customers love how Glade PlugIn fragrances fill the house with welcoming scents. These oils help family and friends feel right at home.
- Glade PlugIns do a great job of covering up bad odors that don’t seem to want to go away.
- Knowing that *any* Glade PlugIn refill will work with an oil warmer is such a relief. It cuts down on the cost of having to buy multiple warmers within short periods of time. This was a thoughtful gesture made by the company.
- Starter kits make the perfect housewarming gift. They’re also a great stock-up option if you buy it for yourself upon moving into a new home.
What Customers Dislike about Glade Plugins
- Customers experience oil spillage when the warmer isn’t properly connected to the wall.
- Even when on a higher intensity setting, Glade PlugIn fragrances seem to fade over time.
- A lot of the limited edition fragrances have wonderful scents that customers wish were available year-round.
For safety, the warmer must point upwards at all times. You can easily swivel the plug to avoid accidents.
Glade PlugIns offer a reasonably priced option for filling your home with fragrances that you and your guests will love. There’s likely a fragrance that will please everyone – some are fruity, others floral, or complexly woody. With so many possibilities and at low costs, Glade PlugIns are definitely good enough to try.
But if you’re as intrigued as I am about Glade’s Smart Light Technology PlugIns, then I would suggest this starter kit in Crisp Linen. It’s an advanced warmer helps you save on energy and refills.