It’s hard to ignore price when thinking about the differences between Edens Garden and dōTERRA essential oils. dōTERRA considers itself to offer the highest quality essential oils, but does that make it a better choice?
Both companies test their oils for impurities using the GC/MS analysis method. dōTERRA even created their own certification protocol to ensure the highest essential oil quality, but there’s no way to verify that this process justifies their price point. Determining which one is best becomes a personal decision.
When considering company structure, oil quality and price, Edens Garden essential oils might be the better choice, but let’s take a deeper look.
Edens Garden vs dōTERRA: Essential Oil Comparison
This article will place emphasis on essential oils offered by both companies. In case you’re unfamiliar with them, here is some basic information about each company.
Edens Garden Overview
As a company, Edens Garden offers pure essential oils that are safe for adults and children, when used properly. Founded in 2009, the company also offers diffusers, and personal care items for the bath, body, and home.
The company’s name seems to be linked to its faith-based roots. It’s also a woman-owned and operated business that focuses on the holistic wellness of its customers. From my perspective, they have the most extensive sets of essential oil offers from the most popular companies out there.
dōTERRA, meaning “gift of the earth” in Latin, is a wellness company that was founded in 2008. Products include personal care items, supplements, essential oils and accessories. They consider themselves the industry standard for pure, superior quality oils.
The dōTERRA mission is to provide healing, wellness, and hope to its customers, wellness advocates, and employees.
Edens Garden vs dōTERRA: Essential Oil Comparison
In terms of quality, Edens Gardens seems to be at least equal to dōTERRA, yet it’s only one-third the price. Here are starter kits from each company for comparison.
One of their most similar products to compare was a starter kit.
dōTERRA Introductory Essential Oil Kit
- The stunning presentation box also includes suggested uses of the included oils providing your prospects with an immediate experience of the...
- DOTERRA Essential Oils Introductory Kit
- The Introductory Kit is a great starting point for those new to essential oils
- The high menthol content of the doTERRA Peppermint essential oil sets it apart from others when it comes to quality—making it one of the...
This kit includes three of dōTERRA’s most popular single essential oils: lavender, lemon, and peppermint. Each bottle is 5 mL (0.17 oz). dōTERRA oils can be diffused, or diluted to be used internally or topically. Their oils are Kosher certified.
Here are some benefits of each dōTERRA essential oil:
- This is the most commonly purchased essential oil across brands. It’s a calming, herbaceous, refreshing fragrance that can act as a sleeping aid.
- An invigorating fragrance, lemon oil can help revive you and lift your mood. Lemon oil is also a purifying cleansing agent.
- When diffused or inhaled by steam, peppermint can clear the nasal passage with its expanding menthol content. It can also be added to recipes and personal care items, such as toothpaste.
You don’t have to guess which dōTERRA essential oils are safe to consume. They always indicate this on the bottle label. Although dōTERRA suggests that some of their oils are safe to ingest. Always do your own research.
In the United States, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has a list of essential oils considered generally recognized as safe for consumption as long as they’re used within these general safety guidelines.
- Includes common starter oils
- Introduces you to the brand
- Can be ingested when diluted
- Small bottles for the price
Edens Garden Top Three Single Essential Oils
- Women-owned and family-operated since 2009, we personally source each essential oil and raw ingredient to ensure affordable prices without...
- As the leader in the essential oils industry, we value safety, quality and education in offering only the best aromatherapy products. For this reason,...
- Each of our products is expertly formulated and hand-poured, including over 200 essential oils and synergy blends. We also offer a wide array of...
The most popular single oils sold by Edens Garden are: lavender, peppermint, and tea tree oils. Each bottle is 10 mL (0.33 oz), which is twice the size of the dōTERRA bottles.
Instead of lemon oil, this set includes tea tree oil. Tea tree, also called melaleuca, can be used for many different kinds of home remedies due to its antibacterial properties.
- More reasonable price
- Common oils used frequently
- Higher quantity of oil at lower price
- Probably can’t be ingested
Edens Garden vs dōTERRA Sets QuickComparison
|dōTERRA Intro Kit
|Edens Garden Top Three
|5 mL (0.17 oz)
|10 mL (0.33 oz)
Tea Tree Oil
Selecting one kit over the other depends on whether you’d prefer the energizing properties of lemon oil or the bacteria-fighting properties of tea tree oil.
Another factor to consider is whether you plan to use diluted oils internally. Some Edens Garden essential oils can be used internally if diluted, but the company cautions against this unless guided by your doctor or clinical aromatherapist. This is especially the case if you are taking other medications and/or experience allergic reactions to certain plant matter.
Lastly, price. If you do the math to calculate the cost per bottle in each of these sets, dōTERRA oils cost three times as much per bottle of Edens Garden essential oil.
Edens Garden vs dōTERRA: Brand to Brand Comparison
You may be wondering why there is such a huge price difference between these two companies. There are a number of reasons that largely have to do with the way each company is structured.
Edens Garden Brand Structure
Edens Garden refers to itself as the top non-MLM (Multi-Level Marketing) essential oil company based on national poll results. I haven’t been able to verify this, but they are definitely a well-loved company.
Part of the reason is that in addition to providing high quality oils, customers can access the oils directly through the company’s website or through an online marketplace, like Amazon.
There’s a significant reduction in price for non-MLM essential oils because there are less overhead costs. Non-MLM essential oil companies don’t pay out commissions, nor do they need to fund award prizes, including lavish trips, for their top sellers.
Since Edens Garden only sells to customers through online platforms, and they don’t offer their products wholesale, they’re about to make their products more affordable.
dōTERRA Brand Structure
dōTERRA essential oils and their other product lines are sold in over 18 international markets. This is in large part due to the efforts of over three million dōTERRA Wellness Advocates. The company uses a direct selling model that relies on Wellness Advocates to engage and educate customers.
Many people have reservations about buying from companies that use a direct selling approach because that form of marketing often drives up product prices.
Wellness Advocates earn a commission from dōTERRA sales that result from them directly interacting with customers. But unlike some direct selling models, you can bypass the Wellness Advocate and become a Wholesale Customer.
For an annual Wholesale Customer membership fee, you’ll receive many of the same perks as a Wellness Advocate. Some perks include product discounts, shipping rewards, and a free bottle of oil upon yearly renewal. But you wouldn’t earn commissions or have access to your own dōTERRA website.
Beyond these two ways of buying dōTERRA oils, you can order them directly from the dōTERRA website at different price points, depending on whether or not you’re a Wholesale Customer. But in more recent times, Amazon is also an option.
Which Company Should You Choose?
Selecting the best essential oils for your needs is definitely a decision that goes beyond price, but you have to ask yourself what’s included in the asking price. In this case, oils are sourced from the same places and go through many of the same tests, and are essentially of the same quality.
Choose Edens Garden if:
- You want high quality oils at an affordable price
- You like trying a variety of essential oil kits
- You want peace of mind that each oil is safe and effective
Choose dōTERRA if:
- You are less price sensitive
- You are comfortable self-medicating at your own risk
- You have no problem supporting a MLM company
dōTERRA oils are of quality, but I’m not convinced that they’re better than Edens Garden. High standards don’t have to come with a high price tag. I think Edens Garden is a trustworthy company, and they offer lots of essential oil kits for you to try.
But of course the choice is up to you!