Feel like you’ve exhausted your options with simple, uninteresting scented candles? Maybe you’ve thought to yourself what you can add to your candles to give them a unique, atomic twist that’s natural. So, you might ask yourself, ‘can you put cinnamon sticks in candles?’
You can put cinnamon sticks in candles if you take the necessary precautions. You can add cinnamon sticks to many different kinds of waxes, including soy candle wax and paraffin. Cinnamon sticks can hide smells and create a welcoming environment with their rich, soothing aroma.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a candle enthusiast or just looking for a fun and simple DIY project. This article will cover everything you need to know about cinnamon sticks and candles.
You can safely use cinnamon sticks if you want to give your candles a sweet, aromatic touch. Cinnamon sticks are basically paper-like bark peeled from the cinnamon tree and dried into the iconic tube shape.
They are typically used when cooking or baking because they give off an irresistibly warm and sweet smell and taste. Many people also add cinnamon to candles because of the fragrance that they give off. The fragrance can be soothing and will brighten your day.
Adding cinnamon sticks to candles is also reasonably safe to do. However, cinnamon is flammable, so you should take some precautions, like using soy candle wax, a 1/4-inch wick, and a small amount of cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon per 4oz).
Cinnamon sticks are also 100% natural. This means there aren’t any synthetic perfumes or additives that make it smell nice. This is a great eco-friendly option for those that want a nice aroma in their home.
Adding cinnamon sticks to candles can bring an array of unique benefits. Here are a few benefits you can gain from putting cinnamon sticks in candles:
The rich, sweet aroma of cinnamon sticks can make any space seem more welcoming and cozy.
This can be especially nice during the colder months when we crave comforting and uplifting scents.
The scent of cinnamon sticks can also add a festive touch to your holiday decorations or any time of year.
Cinnamon sticks can help to mask unpleasant odors, making them a natural and effective air freshener. Simply place a few lit cinnamon stick candles in a room to freshen the air and add a pleasant aroma.
Cinnamon sticks are a natural substance that may be used to make candles without the need for any artificial perfumes or chemicals.
This can be especially appealing to those who are looking for more natural and sustainable options for their home.
Making candles out of cinnamon sticks is an easy and enjoyable DIY hobby that candle lovers of all experience levels may enjoy. It’s a fun opportunity to express your individuality through craftwork and improve the feel of your living space.
Making cinnamon stick candles is a simple and fun DIY project that can be done in a few easy steps. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Candle wax (paraffin or soy is the best)
- Cinnamon sticks
- Glass jar(s) or a non-plastic container
- A hot glue gun
- A double boiler or microwave-safe container
Now, here are the steps to make cinnamon stick candles:
- The first step is to prepare your wax. If you’re using a double boiler, melt the wax over medium heat until it is entirely liquid. If you’re using a microwave, melt the wax in 30-second increments. Stirring it every 30 seconds until it is entirely liquid.
- Next, prepare your wick. Use a hot glue gun to attach the wick to the bottom of your jar or container. Make sure the wick is centered and straight.
- Once your wax is fully melted, add a few cinnamon sticks to the mixture. Depending on your desired scent strength, you should use ¼ to ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon per 4oz of candle wax. Stir the wax and cinnamon sticks together until the cinnamon sticks are fully coated.
- Carefully pour the wax mixture into your jar or container, leaving enough space at the top for the wick.
- Let the candle cool and solidify completely. This can take several hours or overnight, depending on the size of your candle.
- Trim the wick to about 1/4 inch before lighting the candle.
And that’s it! You now have a beautiful, aromatic cinnamon stick candle that you can enjoy anytime.
When it comes to choosing the best cinnamon sticks for candles, there are a couple of things you need to consider.
The first thing to look for is cinnamon sticks that are fresh if you want a stronger smell. Old and stale cinnamon sticks may have lost their fragrance and may not provide as strong of a smell in your candles. Unless you want a weak smell, you should choose fresh cinnamon sticks.
The next thing to consider is the type of cinnamon. There are two main types of cinnamon: Ceylon cinnamon and Cassia cinnamon. Ceylon cinnamon is considered to be the “true” cinnamon and has a more delicate smell for candles. On the other hand, Cassia cinnamon is more common and has a more pungent smell.
Both types of cinnamon can be used in candles, but the type you choose will depend on your personal preference. I recommend you try both out and see which you like the most.
One of the great things about making your candles is that you can customize them to your specific liking. Here are a few ideas for customizing your cinnamon stick candles:
- Mix and match different scents into the candles: Cinnamon sticks can be combined with other scents to create mixed smells that you may like more than just the plain cinnamon smell. You could add a few drops of essential oils, such as vanilla, orange, or clove, to the wax mixture to create a custom scent. You can experiment to see which you think smells best.
- Add decoration: You can add visual interest to your candles by adding embellishments, such as dried flowers or herbs, to the wax mixture before it solidifies. You just need to make sure to use materials that are safe for candles.
- Use different container sizes and shapes: The container you use for your candles can make them much more visually appealing. Experiment with different sizes and shapes of containers, such as mason jars, tealight holders, or small bowls. There are many different choices, and you’ll need to consider your current home design and how you want your candles to fit in with the decoration style.
So, what do you think? Have you been convinced of the benefits of using cinnamon sticks in candles?
Cinnamon stick candles offer something for everyone. With their strong, warm, and inviting scent, natural air freshening properties, eco-friendliness, and DIY fun, it’s no wonder that cinnamon stick candles are becoming a popular choice among candle enthusiasts.
So why wait? Get creative and start making your own cinnamon stick candles today!